PERMANENT FULL-TIME POSITION LOCATION: Nanaimo Regional Office [#102- 3156 Barons Rd.] CLOSES: July 27, 2020 at 4:30 PM PST
ABOUT MÉTIS NATION BRITISH COLUMBIA
Métis Nation British Columbia (MNBC) develops and enhances opportunities for our Métis communities by implementing culturally relevant social and economic programs and services. Through teamwork, respect, dedication, accountability, integrity, and professionalism, MNBC strives to build a proud, self-governing, sustainable Nation in recognition of inherent rights for our Métis citizens, assisting in the delivery of services based on policy, process, and specified regulations.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
We are seeking a highly motivated, team-orientated individual to join our Vancouver Island/Powell River team as a Métis Early Years Navigator with the Ministry of Education.
Reporting to the Director of Education and Métis Early Years Program Coordinator, the primary purpose of the Métis Early Years Navigator is to provide information and referral support to ensure Métis children (birth to 8 years old) and their families are connected to culture, programs, early years’ services and childcare within their community. The Métis Early Years Navigator assists the Program Coordinator to deliver all aspects of the program and services to the Vancouver Island/Powell River region.
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Conduct community outreach with children (birth to 8 years old) and their families, and record the information in order to assess the immediate and long-term needs of the families
- Enroll Métis families into the MNBC Métis Early Years program
- Refer families to professionals, programs, agencies, and services within their community
- Distribute Métis Early Years program materials and information to families
- Document barriers for Métis families in accessing Early Years programs and services and advocate on their behalf to resolve the barriers
- Planning, coordinating meetings and events, as required
- Attend Métis Chartered Communities and stakeholder meetings, as required
- Carry out various administrative tasks, as assigned
- Reporting of activities to the Métis Early Years Program Coordinator, as required
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
- Degree or diploma in Early Childhood Education, Community Support Work, K – 3 Education or related field, and
- Minimum of four (4) years’ experience in the early years’ field or public-school system
- Previous education and/or experience working with children (birth to 8 years) and families
- Combination of relevant experience, education, and training will be considered.
- Previous experience working in an Indigenous Community, with strong knowledge of Métis culture and history, is considered an asset
- Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate both verbally and in writing
- Proven ability to prioritize tasks, meet deadlines, and work with minimal supervision
- Proven ability to utilize, adapt and embrace new technologies, including Word, Excel and other database/software
- Other duties may be assigned as needed to help ensure the efficient operation of MNBC
- There will be a need to attend meetings and events which may require work and travel outside of the normal business hours.
- Ability to provide a satisfactory Criminal Record Check.
- Valid BC Class 5 Driver’s license and personal vehicle for work purposes
The above requirements are what MNBC is seeking in the ideal incumbent at the time of posting and are subject to change based on needs.
Pursuant to section 41 of the BC Human Rights Code, preference may be given to applicants who selfidentify as Aboriginal (First Nation, Métis or Inuit). All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply.
PLEASE NOTE THAT CANDIDATES MUST APPLY BY July 27, 2020 at 4:30 PM PST
Using Métis Early Years Navigator in the subject line of your email, please send your resume and cover letter to:
Madeline Green Métis Education Coordinator Métis Nation British Columbia Email: email@example.com